University Technical Colleges (UTCs) are schools for 14–19 year olds. They deliver an innovative, high-quality education that combines technical, practical and academic learning.
Each UTC has one or more technical STEM specialisms that meet the skill shortages in their local area.
Local employers and the local university back each UTC. They work closely with the UTC teaching staff to help create a curriculum that enables students to apply their emerging knowledge and skills to real life projects.
The benefits of teaching at a UTC
Teaching at a UTC offers an interesting and stimulating teaching experience, which includes:
- More time during the UTC day to plan, prepare and assess, and collaborate with colleagues
- An opportunity to specialise through a teaching timetable focused on a small number of KS4 and post-16 qualifications
- A chance to apply learning in the subject to real life problems
- Working with ambitious young people who have a genuine interest in STEM
- Using leading edge technologies and specialist equipment
- Collaborating with professionals and employees within the specialist sectors and higher education
- A significant importance placed on the teaching of maths and science
- A competitive salary and opportunities for rapid professional advancement
Susan Smith, Teacher of Science, UTC Oxfordshire, on returning to teach and joining a UTC:
A number of things sold it to me at the interview. The first was the student tour of the UTC – they were very proud of their school but also seemed very mature in their attitude. The second was the enthusiasm and warmth of the Principal and the Head of Science. And the last was the chance to do something a bit different.
Find out more about teaching at a UTC
The national Return to Teaching programme offers support to returning teachers of maths and physics and Baker Dearing Educational Trust is working with them to offer a series of free half-day introductory sessions for returning teachers interested in working at a UTC:
Health Futures UTC - Tues 7th November
UTC Warrington - Wed 8th November
Sir Simon Milton Westminster UTC - Thurs 9th November
Watford UTC - Mon 13th November
To register, please contact Nigel Bowen: email@example.com
Return to Teaching programme
The Return to Teaching programme provides a range of support to returning teachers. This includes:
- One-to-one support from an experienced teaching professional
- Help with arranging school experience
- Reviewing your subject and pedagogical knowledge
- Accessing a subject specialist training course to refresh your knowledge
- Information on vacancies in your local area, help with your application and interview-
For more information about Return to Teaching, call 0800 085 0971 or visit www.getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/return-to-teaching